It’s time for another Recipe Redux! This month they gave a pretty exciting theme: do the recipe on page 42 of a cookbook!
I don’t own that many cookbooks, I probably have only 2 or 3. As a blogger, I mostly do recipes that I see in other blogs, so it was nice to clean off the dust on this cookbook and give the recipe a try!
Le boyfriend and I both enjoyed it. It’s not a life-changing meal, but it was still delicious and nice to have the leftovers for a couple more days.
Serves 6, ready in 60 minutes
-2 cups frozen hash browns (look for those that have no added oils)
-2 cups frozen broccoli (or another veggie you’d like)
-1/3 cup finely shopped roasted turkey ham
-1/3 cup milk
-2 tablespoon whole wheat all purpose flour
-1/2 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
-1/2 tablespoon dried basil
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-A couple pinches of black pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 350*F. Lightly coat a 2-quart square baking dish with olive oil.
2. In the dish, arrange hash browns and frozen broccoli in the bottom, then top with the ham. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, gradually add the milk to the flour and whisk with a fork.
4. In a medium-large bowl, beat eggs with a wire whisk until combined. Then add milk mixture, half of the cheese, basil, salt and pepper. Whisk well again.
5. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables in the dish
6. Bake for about 50 minutes or until a knife interred in the centre comes out clean.
7. Sprinkle the remaining cheese and serve!
Adapted from Eat well, lose weight