I don’t like asparagus. There, I said it. I rather have chocolate, thanks!
The good news is that I found a way to eat it in which you can barely taste it and it’s actually super delicious! The secret is: Pesto! Well, you had probably already figured that out with the title of this post. But seriously, it’s SO GOOD!
I got the idea from Elise’s blog and I couldn't wait to try it myself. So far I've only tried it with whole wheat pasta, but Elise suggests using it as a pizza sauce as well. I will be definitely giving that a try!
The big plus for this one is how healthy it is. I reduced the amount of oil, added more almonds and omitted the added salt. Plus, the asparagus is barely cooked so it keeps all its vitamins and minerals, while still providing fiber and flavor. Another plus? It’s ready in less than 10 minutes! Yey for exam-period-friendly-food!
This recipe is a keeper. Try it, save it and then do it again and again. I will be for sure.
Serves about 1.5 to 2 cups, ready in less than 10 minutes
-1 bundle of asparagus
-1/2 cup water
-1 heaping tablespoon dried basil leaves (about 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves)
-4 tablespoons almonds
-2 garlic cloves
-1/3 cup olive oil
-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1. In a medium pan, add the water and heat over medium-high
2. When the water is about to boil, add the asparagus and cook for about 4 minutes until softened
3. Add the cooked asparagus with the water to a blender or food processor
4. Add also the rest of the ingredients and blend
5. Adjust to desired thickness by adding tablespoons of water (I only needed 1)
Serve and enjoy!