I’d love to tell you a story right now about all the messes and issues I went through to be able to make this recipe. But it just didn’t happen. Everything went smoothly. Added this here, added that there…and voilà, one of the most delicious pizzas I’ve ever made.
To me, toppings are usually the best part of foods. Like adding peanut butter, Greek yogurt, fruits and honey to my waffles. Or adding lots of nuts, chocolate chips and syrups to my froyo. With pizza it’s the same...only that this time I tried to keep it simple. Everything in this one is about the crust.
Go add any leftovers or yummy healthy toppings and you’ll have a delicious pizza. Ricotta, tomatoes, red onion, and arugula did a pretty good job. This is one of those recipes that I’ll definitely make many more times in my life. It’s a keeper. Go make it. Then tell me all about it. Now!
Serves 1 small pizza for 2, ready in 45 minutes
For the crust:
-1/3 cup uncooked quinoa
-1/3 cup water + 1/3 cup water
-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-Pinch of salt
-1/3 cup ricotta
-1/2 red onion
-1 teaspoon rosemary
-A handful arugula
1. Preheat oven to 425◦F
2. In a saucepan, add quinoa, 1/3 cup water and the pinch of salt. Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer.
3. When the water evaporated and quinoa looks fluffy, remove from heat.
4. In a medium bowl add the quinoa, the rest of the water, the flours and the oil. Mix everything together with your hands. Add more water if the dough is not coming together.
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. Form a ball with the dough and put in a lightly floured surface. Shape the dough into a circle with your hands, until it’s about 1cm thick.
7. Add to baking sheet and bake for 7 minutes, flip, and bake for another 7 minutes on the other side.
1. Now your crust is ready for toppings.
2. I added the ricotta, tomatoes, red onion and rosemary (in that order) and baked it for another 10 minutes.
3. Serve the pizza and sprinkle the arugula on top. Enjoy!
Crust adapted from Food